So… I’ve sort of abandoned this blog. My excuse for that is that I have been out doing and experiencing so much that I haven’t really had time to process//blog about it, but it is what it is. Suddenly, though, I’m leaving South Africa in three days, and this seems like a good time to wrap up this blog officially. There’s so much to say about leaving that I don’t even know where to begin, but here’s a list of things I’m going to miss about South Africa:
1. Being able to buy homemade samosas from behind the counter at every convenience shop in Cape Town.
3. The Old Biscuit Mill
4. Being able to figure out where I am in Cape Town by looking at Table Mountain or Lion’s Head
5. Caribbean onion and balsamic vinegar potato chips
6. Hearing isiXhosa everywhere
7. Flat 319, esp. the balcony
9. Being able to legally buy alcohol
10. How comfortable people are talking about race and racial issues (generally)
11. Stunningly beautiful people literally everywhere you look
12. The way the light streams around Devil’s Peak in the late afternoons
13. Climbing Lion’s Head
15. Artscape Theatre
16. Living in a place where same-sex marriage is legal.
17. Spaza shops and superettes
18. The Neighbourhood (a restaurant)
19. My neighborhood (Buitenkant for life)
20. The national anthem, Nkosi Sikelel’ iAfrika
There are obviously a million more things, things that I probably won’t even recognize until I’m back home, or three months from now, or six months, a year, ten years. This place has profoundly changed me. I can’t believe I’m leaving it behind, but I think there are probably new and big things headed my way. I’m so thankful and I feel unbelievably blessed to have been able to have been here for the past four months.